Oologah-Talala Public Schools Job Description
Position Title: Activities/ Athletic Director Department: Athletics
Reports To: Superintendent/ Assistant Superintendent FLSA Designation: Exempt
Purpose: It is the mission of the Oologah Public Schools’ Activities/Athletic Director to help all students become stronger academically, athletically and socially. The Activities/Athletic Director should be committed to working with all students involved in extracurricular activities to help them better understand the importance of dedication, work ethic and cooperation. The Activities/Athletic Director should also be able to lead, guide and mentor staff involved in the Activities/Athletic Department. As the leader of the Oologah Activity/Athletic Department, the director’s goal should be that all students involved in extracurricular activities become productive citizens while learning to compete at the highest level.
Qualifications: Must have a current teaching certificate with a school administration endorsement. You must also possess the ability to work cooperatively with everyone in the school district. You must also be able promote the school and fundraise within the community. Possess a CDL Class B with air brakes or be willing to obtain one within one year of hiring.
Essential Duties and Functions:
- Lead the annual in-service covering district policies and procedures for the upcoming school year. Lead the athletic department in a positive direction on yearly basis.
- Aid the principal and superintendent in the selection of coaching personnel and volunteers that will be recommended to the Board of Education for all sponsor/athletic coaching positions.
- Work with principal and coaching staff in the character development and leadership of coaches.
- Conduct coaching in-service meetings throughout the school year reviewing policies and procedures used in the Athletic Department.
- Mentor Sponsors/Head Coaches and work with them to create job descriptions for assistants.
- Assist the staff in solving any staff, student-athlete, or parent problems/meetings. Follow up on parent concerns in a timely manner.
- Evaluate all head varsity coaches annually, and assistant coaches (w/help of head coach).
- Collect end of season summaries, inventories and assistant coach evaluations from Head Coaches
- Recommend the hiring or rehiring of district sponsors/athletic staff. Review all personnel decisions with the principal and superintendent.
- Ensure that all activities conform to the regulations of OSSAA and meet the needs of students.
- Complete and return to the OSSAA all classification, tournament entries, and special request forms. Keep a record of the date of receipt and return of all forms to the OSSAA.
- Certify each Sponsor/Coach every year based on the requirements of the OSSAA and NFHS.
- Set up and supervise team physicals for each sport. Make OSSAA physical forms available and make sure all athletes have up-to-date physicals, athletic forms, including drug compliance policies.
- Administer eligibility practices for the OSSAA. Complete eligibility checks for each sport through rankonesport.com. Certify all students’ eligibility.
- File all hardships with the OSSAA and work directly with their staff to resolve any eligibility issues.
- Attend all required OSSAA eligibility meetings and area meetings.
- Run weekly academic eligibility reports and create an end of semester eligibility list.
- Set up an annual meeting with all Booster Clubs to discuss district policies and procedures.
- Recommend sanctioning of all Booster Clubs annually.
- Recommend approval all sport camps and clinics.
- Approve all facility and fundraiser requests.
- Attend all Verdigris Valley Conference Meetings.
- Attend all Region 3 Meetings throughout the Year
- Recommended to attend NEOADA meetings and any National Meetings approved by the Superintendent and BOE.
- Prepare a list of eligible students for random drug testing and aid in the monthly random tests.
- Update District website and district schedules. Provide a list of weekly events.
- Serve as a Liaison for student-athletes to pursue collegiate athletic opportunities (Ex: NCAA Clearinghouse, calls, recommendation letters)
- Prepare an annual budget for administrative and Board approval.
- Oversee all fundraising activities including administrative approval and accounting for the receipt and disbursement of funds.
- Approve all requisitions for each sport and meet with each Head Coach to discuss program needs and wants.
- Pay all game workers and officials through designated program.
- Employ, assign and request payment for all security used at athletic contests.
- Purchase or authorize the purchase of all athletic equipment. Follow the Board policy regarding purchasing practices.
- Certify a monthly financial report.
- Fundraise to supplement the athletic budget.
- Schedule all athletic contests for competitive levels of play. In those sports that play a conference schedule, schedule the non-conference contest with the assistance of the head coach of the sport.
- Create schedule posters with ads for athletic revenue and pass out in community, maintain and oversee coaches in keeping school website updated with relevant information.
- Provide copies of all schedules for the principal, superintendent, coaches, and media outlets.
- Approve transportation for all contests outside of the school district.
- Employ officials for all athletic contests as per the regulations of the athletic conference of which the school is a member. File all officials’ contracts.
- See that all athletic facilities are properly prepared for competition. (Scoreboard, lights, P.A., field marking and mowing, etc.)
- Report needed improvement or maintenance of facilities.
- Secure and supervise all P.A. announcers, scorekeepers, timers, workers, ambulance and security people for all athletic contests.
- Prior to all athletic contests, contact the officials and opponents school to confirm the date, time and location of the contest.
- Prepare game scripts, rosters and emergency action plans for use at athletic game events.
- Obtain opponent rosters and team information.
- Prepare, mail, and file all contracts for athletic contests.
- Complete preparation for special activities, such as Parents Night, Homecoming, Little Mustang Cheer, Senior Nights, ETC.
- Provide Hospitality for Administrators, Athletic Staff, Game Workers and Officials.
- Make arrangements for any press or radio coverage of athletic contests.
- Oversee the work of the athletic trainers, their relationship with coaches, and the health and safety of student athletes.
- Provide media outlets with game summaries.
- Host any events assigned by the OSSAA and follow their guidelines.
- Supervise and manage all contests.
- Promote good faculty and community relations. Serve full time as a PR director for school district and, athletic department.
- Be visible and engaging to patrons.
- Host Meet the Mustang Events throughout the year.
- Work with local businesses to sponsor game nights and half time events.
- Host an annual fundraiser Golf Tournament that encourages local businesses to participate.
- Work closely with the local media to ensure proper coverage of all activities and events.
- Prepare and end-of-year summary for the BOE and Superintendent.
All other duties assigned by the Superintendent
Anyone interested in this position should contact Dr. David Wilkins by email at firstname.lastname@example.org