Job Title: Athletics and ActivitiesDirector/Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Superintendent or his/her designee
Summary: Plans, organizes and directs comprehensive activities program
Number of Days: 210Days
Essential Duties andResponsibilities:
To provide administrative direction and oversight for all athletic and activity programs in the district. The director is responsible for ensuring compliance with all federal, state and district regulations, administering departmental funds and accounts in a fiscally responsible manner and sustaining a culture of sportsmanship, professionalism and respect at all levels.
· Monitor strict observances of equality of opportunity in boys’ and girl’s athletics by keeping informed of legal requirements and consulting with staff regarding compliance with the law.
· Supervise athletic staff including shared responsibility for hiring, disciplining or firing decisions, and full responsibility for training, mentoring, and evaluating coaches and athletics staff.
· Establish and manage contracts with 3rd party entities who lease/use SFS facilities.
· Buses are well-maintained, inspected as required by SDE; bus drivers are certified; coaches are certified to drive buses; scheduled buses for athletics event with certified drivers.
· Schedule or facilitate all buses for Athletics event.
· Maintain an accounting system of all the athletic and all other activities. Included are District funds, gate receipts, concession, expenditure record, and pupil participation and accounting.
· Supervise the control, issuance and maintenance of athletic equipment and facilities.
· Prepare press releases and the arrangement of media coverage for athletic events, and insure the appropriate media is informed of the results of all athletic events.
· Prepares a master calendar that includes conference and non-conference games/events.
· Develop and manage department, team, and special events budgets; order equipment; and ensure departmental compliance with all district cash handling and management policies.
· Collect and analyze department statistics and data and prepare and distribute reports as appropriate.
· Represent the district at all conference/state athletic meetings.
· Collects all rosters prior to the first contest and performs eligibility checks per district policy.
· Coordinates gym use for practices and games and give final clearance for the use of the gyms or the athletic fields.
· Serves as liaison between coaches and custodial staff for the cleaning and maintenance of athletic facilities and area.
· Contracts and makes payment arrangements for officials to work athletic events.
· Secures game workers for athletic contests, ticket takers, announcers, clock operators, score keepers, line judges, etc.
· Sets up and tears down athletic facilities for events.
· Attends and supervises activities/athletic events
· Complete an evaluation of and conferences with all coaches within three weeks after the conclusion of their sport season.
· Disseminate OSSAA materials and enforce OSSAA rules and regulations, including player eligibility.
· Collect, file, and notify athletes and coaches regarding student eligibility as it pertains to the OSSSA physical cards and athletic code of conduct.
· Observe safety and security procedures: report potentially unsafe conditions.
· Update Athletic Handbook yearly.
· Conducts beginning of the year Coaches and Coordinators meeting.
· Attends all StateAthletic Directors’ meetings to help develop policies in governing athletics activities.
· Establish a network of and work with corporate sponsors, fundraiser, and philanthropists to raise funds for the SFS Athletic Programs. Set fundraising goals annually and develop campaigns to reach stated goals.
· Other duties assigned by supervisor.
District Wide StudentActivities:
· Participates in regularly scheduled meetings with building administration and the Superintendent or his/her designee related to co-curricular activities and community events.
· Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; select and monitor club advisors.
· Provide personnel and security for school and student body sponsored events.
· Prepare a variety of reports including program activity reports and financial reports.
· Coordinate gym, building, and athletic field use and works to maintain a district usage calendar.
· Work with coaching and activities directors and the transportation supervisor to schedule all athletic and activity departure times and provide bus supervision.
· Coordinates travel arrangements and overnight accommodations for student activity groups or teams and their advisors and coaches.
· Schedule or facilitate all buses for Athletics event.
· Establish and maintain standards of dress, scholarship and conduct for participation and travel of students involved in activities.
· Handles suspensions for participants who break SFS and/or OSSAA rules.
· Act as a resource for all athletic and activity staff.
· Evaluate all programs on an annual basis. Make recommendations for improvements to the building administrator, the Superintendent and the school board.
· Mediate the resolution of problems, issue and concerns that may arise.
· Provide a channel through which students and the community may express concerns about the athletic and activity programs.
· Administer the district code of conduct in a fair and consistent manner that is within the intent of the code.
· Ensure district adherence to all OSSAA and district policies, administrative rules, procedures relating to participation in extracurricular activities.
· Serves as the district Title IX coordinator.
Technology Skills:To perform this job successfully, an individual would benefit with knowledge or acquire proficiency in internet and email software; student management software; spreadsheet software and word processing software.
Physical Demands:While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment:The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Frequent nights and weekend’s work and in-season travel are required.
Education andExperience: A four-year degree in recreation, education or related field is required or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification as State Department of Education School Administration, Master Degree, and five years of experience asa head coach preferred.
Terms of Employment: To be determined upon employment.
How to Apply:
Qualified, interested applicants should submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
Santa Fe South Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability. This job description summary does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. This job description is subject to change in response to funding variables, emerging technologies, improved operating procedures, productivity factors, and unforeseen events.