Reports to Superintendent
Compensation: Salary determined by experience
Work Days: Days school is open, 6 hour work day split into 2 shifts per day with the possibility of additional routes for school trips.
Position Summary: The primary responsibility of a school bus driver is to transport the students to and from school in the safest possible manner.
• Transports students of various ages and backgrounds, daily and safely.
• Drives in a safe and legal manner.
• Observes all City, State, and Federal Laws relating to school buses. Enforces the laws, policies and regulations applicable to school buses.
• Meets established time schedules, follows established routes and drives in a safe and legal manner.
• Supervises and controls student passengers within established procedures and guidelines.
• Inspects assigned vehicles for defects daily and reports vehicle condition to Supervisor. Maintain cleanliness of the assigned vehicle.
• Completes necessary paperwork and reports as instructed by Supervisor.
• Works effectively with others to dispense information and to solve problems.
• Attends designated training sessions, workshops and meetings.
• Maintains manner of personal dress and hygiene consistent with Departmental Guidelines and effective job performance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
• High School Diploma or GED preferred.
• Must possess a Commercial Driver License (CDL) of the appropriate class for the vehicle driven with a school bus (S) and a passenger (P) endorsement.
• Must possess a School Bus Driving Certificate issued by the State Department of Education (SDE).
• Current Motor Vehicle Report must meet established safe driving criteria.
• Requires knowledge of City streets, surrounding suburban areas and the ability to read maps and written instructions.
• CPR and First Aid Certification required.
• Must be available for a split shift, i.e., mornings and afternoons. (For example 6:00-9:00 AM and again at 1:30-4:30PM.
*Candidates hired must meet all requirements within the first 60 days of employment or they will be deemed unable to perform the essential functions of their position.*
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements: The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time,
• Exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer,
• Ability to see and read street signs and printed material with or without vision aids.
• Hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone
• Speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone,
• Physical agility, able to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, climb stairs, walk and reach
• Ability to lift, push, pull up to 75 pounds
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the supervisor or appropriate administrator. Sovereign Community School reserves the right to update, revise or change job duties as the need prevails.