REPORTS TO: Superintendent / Principal
About Comanche Academy
ComancheAcademy (CA) will utilize a dual-language instructional format and is a place-based elementary school where the Comanche (Numunu) culture, language, and history are the foundation of an experiential curriculum. Using bothEnglish and Comanche to instruct students in all core content areas, students will develop high levels of bilingualism and biliteracy, and an understanding of Comanche culture. CA employees are a critical part in providing powerful new options for the way children are educated. In CA’s inaugural school year2021-2022, CA will serve a total of 120 students in grades PreK-1st and grow one grade each year.
ComancheAcademy is seeking a Curriculum Specialist to serve the new Comanche Academy for the 2021-2022 school year. The school will begin with Pre-K thru 1st grade, The Curriculum Specialist will develop programming on Comanche language, art, music, history, culture, and tradition as well as the Oklahoma State Academic PK-12 standards. The Curriculum Specialist will develop activities for project-based classroom instruction and field experiences and provide active daily instruction and teacher support. Curriculum Specialists shall utilize leadership, supervision, and administrative skills to promote the maximum educational development of each student.
Duties will include designing, prototyping, documenting, and implementing lesson plans and curricula for project-based STEM and arts-integration programming; facilitating trainings for teachers, education assistants, and non-formal educators; office administration, including data input and ordering supplies and maintaining stocks for educational programming; assisting with special events and promotion of programs.
TheCurriculum Specialist shall report directly to the Superintendent/Principal.S/he will work especially closely with all instructional staff and shall serveas the lead instructor especially in relationship to Comanche related instruction.
Qualifications and Traits
Candidates must have:
• Master’s Degree from an accredited institution is preferred.
• Oklahoma teacher credential required.
• Possess a strong understanding of Comanche Language, History, Culture, Music, and Art.
• Have an understanding of the Oklahoma State AcademicPK-12 standards .
• Experience working with dual language programs and WIDA/ACCESS
• Experience working in a mixed socio-economic school (SES) preferred.
• Strong background in curriculum, supervision, team building, and technology.
• Experience working in Native communities, especially in education, is required
• Ability to motivate staff and students to achieve excellence
• Strong knowledge of core content standards, as well as instructional and assessment practices that incorporate the use of data and research-based strategies and methodologies.
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff members and administration as well as build strong relationships with students, staff, parents, and community
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
TheCurriculum Specialist must:
• Be aligned with the philosophy and mission of the school and organization.
• Work closely with the Comanche Language Department and other relevant ComancheNation departments such as Museum and Historical Preservation to develop appropriate age and grade level curriculum.
• Be capable of managing many complex tasks with competing priorities.
• Possess strong leadership, team management and community building skills.
• Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Be organized and self-managed, and be able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously.
• Have excellent problem-solving skills.
• Possess excellent learning orientation and willingness to lead a learning organization.
• Assists in the Recruitment of staff efficiently and effectively.
• Provides input on evaluation, retention, and dismissal of staff
• Provides professional development, staff observations, curriculum development, staff communication, and provides input on program decisions
• Coach teachers in strategies for effective instructional delivery, modeling outstanding instruction and ensures dual language instructional development
• Observe lessons regularly and deliver targeted feedback, developing plans for teacher improvement
• Collaborate with teachers to plan units, lessons, and assessments, facilitating data-driven instruction cycles
• AssistsAdministration in designing professional development calendar and implement effective, relevant, and differentiated PD sessions
• Foster commitment among staff to the development and fulfillment of the school’s mission and objectives
• Deliver a quality curriculum that meets students’ needs, aligns with the Oklahoma State PK-12 standards, utilizes a dual-language instructional format, and meets state standards
• Coordinate testing of students with the WIDA/ACCESS on an annual basis
• Experience leading professional development training and workshops is also strongly desired.
• Work with school leaders to analyze school data in order to improve instruction and curriculum, overseeing student assessment and measuring progress on a regular basis
• Provide leadership to all staff and students in establishing a positive, structured, and achievement-oriented school culture
• Be highly present and visible during school hours relentlessly ensuring a positive school environment and modeling and enforcing strategies to maximize student time on task.
• Be a visible and highly engaged leader in the school community
• Assists in the development of a plan to provide comprehensive and rigorous curricular and instructional programs that utilize research-supported best practices in instruction and assessment to promote success for all.
• Other duties as assigned.
Compensation & Benefits
CA offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. CA is a 501(c)(3) organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Contact & Timeline
Candidates are encouraged to reach out to Superintendent/Principal Mike Figeuroa for information on this role prior to applying, she can be reached at: email@example.com. To apply for consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Closing date is September 11, 2020, 5:00 pmCST.