JOB TITLE: Elementary Teachers
REPORTS TO: Superintendent / Principal
ABOUT COMANCHE ACADEMY
Comanche Academy (CA) will utilize a dual-language instructional format and is a place-based elementary school where the Comanche (Numunu) culture, language, and history are the foundation of an experiential curriculum. Using both English and Comanche to instruct students in all core content areas, students will develop high levels of bilingualism and biliteracy, and an understanding of Comanche culture. CA employees are a critical part in providing powerful new options for the way children are educated. In CA’s inaugural school year 2021-2022, CA will serve a total of 120 students in grades PreK-1st and grow one grade each year.
Salary Schedule: To be negotiated, based on experience
Length of Contract: 181 contract days
Daily Work Hours: Vary
Responsible for providing an educational atmosphere where students have the opportunity to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth and for organizing and implementing an instructional program that results in students achieving academic success. This is a 10-month position.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Valid Oklahoma teaching certificate with elementary education and/or early childhood endorsements preferred.
● Teaches beginning Comanche language to pupils in a classroom, using the course of study adopted by the Comanche Academy and any other appropriate learning activities.
● Instruct pupils in Comanche cultural and citizenship.
● Develop lesson plans and instructional materials using Comanche Academy approved curriculum. Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil with the identified objectives.
● Utilizes grading patterns that are fairly administered and based on identified criteria.
● Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom. Treat pupils with respect and dignity.
● Evaluates pupils’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
● Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil’s progress and interpret the school program.
● Interacts with pupils, staff, and parents in a positive and professional manner.
● Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
● Establish rapport with pupils and provides a pleasant, safe, and orderly climate conducive to learning.
● Actively participate in Comanche Language/Cultural professional development.
● Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district professional growth activities.
● Supervise and monitor students during out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day which may include but not limited to (cafeteria duty, field trips, playground duty, hallway monitor, etc.)
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● To ensure continuity of services, an alternative work site may be necessary in the event of a health crisis or disruptive situation that requires the closing of school and/or office buildings. An employee’s eligibility for an alternative work site will be determined by the superintendent of schools. Expectations and guidelines for an alternative work site will be distributed by the employee’s supervisor, based on his/her role and responsibilities.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to use computer and computer related programs and other technologies needed to perform essential job functions. Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and the community. Ability to organize and chair or facilitate committees and meetings. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both in oral and written form. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Comanche Academy policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CA offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. CA is a 501(c)(3) organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Comanche Academy is authorized by the Comanche Nation and it is the policy of the Comanche Nation to provide hiring and promotion preference to officially enrolled Tribal members, who meet the essential job qualification for an open position.
Paid time off.
CONTACT AND TIMELINE
Candidates are encouraged to reach out to Superintendent/Principal Mike Figueroa for information on this role prior to applying, He can be reached at: email@example.com. To apply for consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Open until filled.