JOB TITLE: Elementary Teacher Assistant
REPORTS TO: Superintendent / Principal and Teacher of Record
ABOUT COMANCHE ACADEMY
Comanche Academy (CA) will utilize a dual-language instructional format and is a place-based elementary school where the Comanche (Numunu) culture, language, and history are the foundation of an experiential curriculum. Using both English and Comanche to instruct students in all core content areas, students will develop high levels of bilingualism and biliteracy, and an understanding of Comanche culture. CA employees are a critical part in providing powerful new options for the way children are educated. In CA’s inaugural school year 2021-2022, CA will serve a total of 120 students in grades PreK-1st and grow one grade each year.
Salary Schedule: To be negotiated, based on experience
Length of Contract: 177 contract days
Daily Work Hours: Vary
Under the supervision of the Principal, assists a certificated teacher in reinforcing instruction to individual or small groups of students in a classroom setting; assists in the preparation of
instructional materials and implementation of lesson plans; provides routine clerical support and performs related work as required.
Required to speak, read and write in English and be at the novice level of Comanche Language.
High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
● Assist in teaching beginning Comanche language to pupils in a classroom, using the course of study adopted by the Comanche Academy and any other appropriate learning activities.
● Assist in instructing pupils in Comanche cultural and citizenship
● Assists instructional personnel with the development and presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises.
● Tutors individual or small groups of students, reinforcing instruction as directed by the teacher; monitors and oversees student drills, practices and assignments in various subjects; confers with the teacher concerning lesson plans and materials to meet student needs; assists with the implementation of lesson plans.
● Performs a variety of clerical duties in support of classroom activities such as preparing, typing, duplicating and filing instructional materials; maintains student records, attendance and files as assigned; grades student assignments and tests.
● Assists students in completing classroom assignments, homework and projects; assures student understanding of classroom rules and procedures; assists students by answering questions, providing proper examples, emotional support, friendly attitude and general guidance.
● Observes and redirects behavior of students in the classroom, lunch areas, playground or other learning environments according to approved procedures; monitors students during outdoor activities as directed; reports progress regarding student performance and behavior.
● Administers and scores various tests and assessments as directed; prepares reports and documentation as required.
● Operates a variety of classroom and office equipment including audio-visual equipment, a computer and assigned software.
● Provides classroom support to the teacher by setting up work areas, bulletin boards and displays, and distributing and collecting papers, supplies and materials.
● Assures the health and safety of students by following established practices and procedures; maintain a learning environment in a safe, orderly and clean manner.
● Attends meetings and in-service training as assigned.
● Maintains discipline in the absence of the teacher.
● Supervise pupils during assemblies, rehearsals and performance programs.
● Supervise pupils at lunch and recess times.
● Assist pupils using the restrooms
● Other duties as assigned.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to use computer and computer related programs and other technologies needed to perform essential job functions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and the community. Dress in appropriate clothing. Demonstrate punctuality and good attendance, report absences as directed by administration. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Comanche Academy policies.
Knowledge of confidentiality laws, CPR, first aid. Demonstrate caring and compassionate personality & patience. Ability to make responsible judgments for students’ safety.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Excellent physical health required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CA offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. CA is a 501(c)(3) organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Comanche Academy is authorized by the Comanche Nation and it is the policy of the Comanche Nation to provide hiring and promotion preference to officially enrolled Tribal members, who meet the essential job qualification for an open position.
Paid time off.
CONTACT AND TIMELINE
Candidates are encouraged to reach out to Superintendent/Principal Mike Figueroa for information on this role prior to applying, He can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply for consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Open until filled.