Reports to: Sovereign Community School Superintendent
Certification will be done by the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE)
Job goal: To assist, support, and work closely with teachers, administrators, and other team members in providing educational benefits for students.
● Unless otherwise stipulated for specific duties all Sovereign Community School paraprofessionals must have either sixty (60) hours of college course credit or have successfully obtained a paraprofessional certification.
● The ability to work and interact with all other school personnel and students in a cooperative, collaborative and courteous manner.
● The ability to safely, accurately and efficiently follow verbal and written instructions.
● The ability to understand, demonstrate knowledge of, and follow all Sovereign Community School policies, rules and procedures pertinent to the assigned position and duties.
Main Duties / Responsibilities:
● Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified staff.
● Assists the certified staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing learning materials and skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
● Monitors work, correct papers, and supervises curriculum-based testing and makeup work as assigned by the certified staff.
● Serves as the chief source of information and help to any teacher assigned in the absence of the regular certified staff.
● Performs clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties as assigned by the certified staff.
● Alerts the certified staff to any problems or special information about an individual student.
● Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, break periods, and on field trips.
● Performs assigned non-instructional classroom duties as needed.
● When requested, serves as a resource person to the General Education Team and/or IEP / Title 1 / ESL Team(s).
● Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in the school environment and community.
● Participates in in-service training programs as approved.
● Maintains a safe working environment and encourages colleagues to be safety minded in the performance of all school-related duties.
● Perform other such duties / assignments as directed by the certified staff.
● Assists as directed by certified staff in the effort to successfully maintain students with special needs in an integrated setting, as determined by the IEP / Title 1 / ESL Team(s).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see.
● The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
● The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
● At times, may require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
● Fine hand manipulation (keyboarding).