REPORTS TO: Superintendent / Principal
About Comanche Academy
Comanche Academy (CA) will utilize a dual-language instructional format and is a place-based elementary school where the Comanche (Numunu) culture, language, and history are the foundation of an experiential curriculum. Using both English and Comanche to instruct students in all core content areas, students will develop high levels of bilingualism and biliteracy, and an understanding of Comanche culture. CA employees are a critical part in providing powerful new options for the way children are educated. In CA’s inaugural school year 2021-2022, CA will serve a total of 120 students in grades PreK-1st and grow one grade each year.
The job of School Secretary is for the purpose/s of providing secretarial and administrative support to the Administration; communicating information to students, parents, staff, and/or other districts; ensuring compliance with financial, legal and administrative requirements; and supporting the broad array of services provided to students, parents, instructional and support employees.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent minimum, Associates Degree preferred
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic mathematical calculations; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: business telephone etiquette; accounting/bookkeeping principles; and concepts of grammar and punctuation.
ABILITY is required to schedule a number of activities, meetings, and/or events; routinely gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of varied types and/or purposes; and utilize job-related equipment. In working with others, problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; multitasking; meeting deadlines and schedules; working with frequent interruptions; setting priorities; working as part of a team; making independent decisions; and administering immediate first aid.
● Administers first aid and prescription medications to students for the purpose of providing emergency or necessary care in accordance with district, state and federal requirements.
● Assists other personnel for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
● Collects fees and/or funds from student events (e.g. field trips, uniforms, ticket sales, yearbooks, dances, fundraisers, student fee money, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy and timely completion of transactions.
● Compiles data from a variety of sources (e.g. calendars, meetings, etc.) for the purpose of complying with financial, legal and/or administrative requirements.
● Coordinates a variety of programs and/or activities for the purpose of ensuring availability of facilities and/or equipment and delivering services in conformance to established guidelines.
● Evaluates situations (e.g. involving other staff, students, parents, the public, police, probation department, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolutions.
● Greets all incoming visitors for the purpose of ensuring that guests sign in/out as required.
● Maintains a variety of computerized and manual records, files, and department databases (e.g. information packets, rosters/listings, calendars, outstanding supply orders, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing reliable information and complying with district, state and federal requirements.
● Maintains inventory of supplies and materials (e.g. forms, office supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring items’ availability.
● Monitors assigned department/program activities (e.g. purchase orders, office machine operations, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring completion in compliance with established financial, legal and/or administrative requirements.
● Orients new campus personnel regarding appropriate school and district practices (e.g. directions, building procedures, etc.) for the purpose of effectively assimilating new personnel into campus operations.
● Oversees student workers for the purpose of developing their office skills and ensuring their understanding of established policies and procedures.
● Performs record keeping and general clerical functions (e.g. scheduling, copying, faxing, mailings, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and/or materials as needed.
● Prepares a wide variety of reports and written materials (e.g. correspondence, agendas, minutes, newsletters, Parent Handbooks, bulletins, programs, financial statements, annual reports, master calendar, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information in accordance with district, state, federal and/or administrative requirements.
● Prepares written materials (e.g. correspondence, agendas, minutes, newsletter, Parent Handbook, bulletins, reports, bank deposits, receipts, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information.
● Processes a variety of fiscal information (e.g. incoming invoices, purchase orders/requisitions, refund requests, special payment requests, student fees, cash receipts, AR invoicing, statements, etc.) for the purpose of updating information, transmitting information and/or complying with district, state and federal requirements.
● Processes documentation and materials (e.g. mail, supplies, registrations, collections, work orders, forms, field trip forms, receipts, bank deposits, student database updates, requisitions, travel requests, etc.) for the purpose of disseminating information to appropriate parties for action.
● Responds to inquiries from a wide variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, parents, students, public agencies, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, facilitating communication among departments and/or providing direction as may be required.
● Schedules various activities (e.g. meetings, testing arrangements, assemblies, special programs, referral appointments, etc.) for the purpose of assisting in meeting staff needs and efficiently utilizing personnel, equipment and facilities.
● Supports the Principal and other administrative personnel for the purpose of assisting with their administrative functions.
● Attends meetings as assigned for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions. Other Functions
● Maintains office equipment, tools and work areas (e.g. cleaning, load supplies, clear paper jams, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring a safe working environment and the availability of items within a specific time frame.
● Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and maintaining a positive school image at all times.
● Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Compensation & Benefits
CA offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. CA is a 501(c)(3) organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Contact & Timeline
Candidates are encouraged to reach out to Superintendent/Principal Mike Figeuroa for information on this role prior to applying, she can be reached at: email@example.com. To apply for consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Closing Date is September 4, 2020, 5:00 pm CST.