Who we are: KIPP Oklahoma City (OKC) College Prep is one of the leading college-preparatory public charter schools in Oklahoma. We serve 450 students in grades 4 through 8 in the North Highland neighborhood of OKC. Nearly 70% of 8th graders perform in the top quartile on NWEA MAP, a national measure of academic progress – meaning they are on track for college in both reading and math as they enter high school. These scores place KIPP OKC among the highest performing KIPP schools in the country.
What we do: We do whatever it takes to help our students develop knowledge, skills, and strong character. We work relentlessly so that every one of our students can attend college and has access to the life of choice and opportunity that college provides. The KIPP OKC Regional Team supports our schools, Principals, and staff through organizational and academic alignment, business management, strategic planning, and back office functions. By providing outstanding educators, more time in school learning, a strong culture of achievement, and the support of KIPP through College advisors, our goal is for KIPP students to be prepared for self-sustaining careers and lead choice-filled lives.
How we do it: There are no shortcuts to success. Outstanding educators, rigorous lessons, more time in school, and strong school culture support our students as they climb the mountain to college. We work as a team, use data, and constantly reflect to improve our practice. We believe all of our KIPPsters can make it to and through college and we stay with them every step of the way.
Why it matters: In our communities, approximately 1 in 10 students earn a college degree. We believe that this is unjust and unacceptable and, most importantly, can be changed. Nationwide, over 85% of KIPP middle school alums matriculate to college.
About the Successor Middle School Leader Position
This individual will serve as the Successor School Leader at our flagship Middle School, KIPP OKC Prep starting in the 2020-2021 academic year.
The School Leader’s primary job is to drive academic and character outcomes for students. At KIPP, we expect our School Leaders to build lasting and sustainable organizations by developing a pipeline of future School Leaders and creating systems for the ongoing development of school staff and emerging leaders. The School Leader is responsible for developing their successor and the leadership capacity of their staff. We expect our School Leaders to focus 75% of their time on instructional leadership, specifically all of the activities involved in leading and developing teachers to improve their instruction and drive student achievement.
SCHOOL LEADER JOB SUMMARY:
Reporting to and supervised by the Board of Directors, the Successor School Leader will lead all instructional activities and programming with the goal of setting a clear school vision that is ambitious and rigorous, while driving student achievement and instructional leadership.
WITHIN THE FIRST THREE YEARS, THE SCHOOL LEADER WILL BE EXPECTED TO:
· Maintain KIPP OKC's middle school high academic success as one of the top performing schools in the state;
· Partner with parents to explore extra-curricular student activities and elective opportunities that would balance the high academic success;
· Create a North Highland (neighborhood surrounding school)-specific student recruitment strategy; and
· Develop long-term teacher retention strategies.
· Continue to lead high academic outcomes;
· Participate in regional growth conversations and decision-making; and
· Make key decisions about KIPP OKC's long-term strategy, particularly in consideration to ensuring ongoing academic excellence, teacher retention and development and community engagement.
1. Set ambitious school-wide vision and goals, aligned with the KIPP region, that lead students on a path to and through college
2. Plan and prioritize time and resources to achieve annual goals
3. Cultivate a diverse, high-potential Principalship pipeline (from teacher leader to Assistant Principal to successor) and develop leadership team members by teaching and insisting that they are true owners of the work and coaching and designing stretch activities
4. Model expectations for leaders, teachers, and students on school-wide practices for a positive learning culture
5. Develop systems and structures to hire and retain diverse, highly effective staff
6. Build own and school staff’s knowledge and expertise in effective instructional design and academic standards
· Develop teachers’ conceptual understanding of what students must know and be able to do and what instructional methods drive student mastery
· Develop knowledge of how standards map to curriculum and assessment
7. Develop teachers to provide rigorous and high-quality instruction
· Lead analysis of, and develop teachers’ ability to analyze, student data to identify strategies that will move students toward mastery
· Regularly observe and coach instructional leaders to ensure they are providing high-impact, actionable and bite-sized feedback to teachers on a weekly basis
· Ensure teachers can collaborate, analyze their practice and their student data, and adjust instruction in content teams
· Lead whole-school professional development workshops that drive highest-impact improvements in teacher practice
8. Cultivate School Leader’s own success and sustainability by engaging lifelines and renewing to get stronger
COMPETENCIES: The exceptional candidate will excel in the following competencies:
· Set vision and direction
· Relentlessly plan and prioritize
· Lead school culture
· Build expertise in instructional design (methods, time, curriculum) and standards
· Develop teachers to provide rigorous and high-quality instruction through the enabling systems
· Master’s degree in education or related field from an accredited college or university highly preferred
· Five years of administrative/supervisory experience, classroom leadership experience preferred.
· Demonstrated leadership with the ability to lead people and drive results through work with others.
· Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with a willingness to be flexible when needed.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, demonstrating strong prioritization, organization and follow-up skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills. Positive attitude, enthusiasm and energy.
· Proficient in MS Office products, internet and industry specific software programs
· Experience using data analysis to facilitate and support decision making
· Experience in an urban education environment
· Demonstration of effective teaching and learning practices
· Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
· Excellent interpersonal, human relations, and stress and conflict management skills
· Excellent planning, goal setting, coordinating, problem analysis and decision-making skills
· Ability to facilitate and lead change initiatives and embrace innovation
· Enthusiasm to engage parents and community
Weekday hours for teaching staff are from 7:15 AM to 4:45 PM. The Successor School Leader will have periods of extended work week hours, which is required to support both the ongoing development of the school and the delivery of high-quality education for all students.
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent upon prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
The physical demands characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· Long periods of standing and sitting and have the ability to lift items up to 25 lbs. is required. There will be continued use of hands, wrist and arm movements.
· Requires normal/corrected vision and hearing.
· Position will require limited travel.
· Periodic participation in activities to support the KIPP team/mission (such as assembling lunches or rearranging lightweight furniture) is required.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume via our online portal.
If you have any questions or referrals, please email Shalena Broadnax, email@example.com.
KIPP OKC is an employment at-will organization.
KIPP OKC and KIPP OKC College Prep are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.